Skip to main content

Sally Potter & Money; & John Berger



Sally Potter's last blog entry was her stunning Barefoot Filmmaking manifesto. I'm not going to quote from it. It deserves to be read as a whole. 

Her latest response to a comment on her site is about money, money, money and films. 

Her clarity and her courage make me cry.

(Her The Gold Diggers (1983) was an inspiration for some bits of Development. And I can't wait to see her latest film, RAGE. Here's a still from it, of Judi Dench.)



When I saw the picture of Sally Potter's boots that seemed an ideal way to show her. These two recent postings are so generous; I can now imagine a little of what it means to stand in those boots (while filming barefoot).

And then, still looking at photographs, I found this article about her, in Vertigo, by John Berger, another of my all-time heroes.

So I'm sitting here in the twilight thinking that these gifts may be a sign, just when I need one. 

Tomorrow some amazing actors will read 34 pages of Development for a little audience of writers. At the moment I'm excited and curious and expecting to learn. But if I get scared or anxious I'll remember to think "What would Sally Potter do?" "What would John Berger say?"

You can buy Sally Potter scripts and films here.

Comments

  1. Thank you x a million for flagging up the John Berger interview that I did for Vertigo -- it was one of the greatest honours and experiences of my life!!! Exciting as well to hear of a film inspired by The Gold Diggers -- the BFI will be releasing it on DVD (after all these years!) in a beautiful new print this December.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment